XPO accelerates its transition to sustainable fleet in France with a landmark investment in 100 electric trucks
Noticias | Lyon, France | 9 de Enero de 2023
XPO, a pioneer in alternative-power freight transportation in France, has announced an unprecedented agreement to purchase 100 electric trucks from Renault Trucks for its French fleet. XPO’s investment follows the company’s testing of the all-electric Renault Trucks E-Tech D 16-tonne truck in the Lyon and Paris regions since October 2021. Renault Trucks is a longstanding supplier of XPO fleet.
XPO has finalised orders for 65 electric trucks to date, with all 100 trucks being delivered from fourth quarter 2022 to 2024. The 16-tonne and 19-tonne commercial vehicles will be based at 28 XPO less-than-truckload (LTL) sites in France, and will be used to transport palletized goods as partial loads. XPO is the leader in palletized distribution in France.
The company expects to be making about 25% of its deliveries with electric vehicles by 2030, reducing CO2 emissions by more than 26,000t. With the Renault Trucks agreement, the company is positioning its fleet in anticipation of future regulations that may govern deliveries in urban areas, while helping customers meet their own decarbonization goals. XPO has stated that it aims to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions in France by at least 25% by 2030, from a 2019 baseline.
The economically viable Renault Trucks E-Tech trucks have a loading capacity of 18 to 21 pallets and are equipped with a 185 kW engine. With a range of up to 250 km on a single charge, each truck reduces CO2 by an estimated 45.7t per year, compared with trucks running on diesel fuel. The vehicles operate without direct CO2 emissions and significantly reduce noise and odour pollution, making them well-suited for deliveries in congested urban areas. They also emit fewer fine particles, and operate with less vibration, which reduces driver fatigue. Each truck is fitted with a 360° camera that reduces blind spots for greater safety.
Bruno Kloeckner, managing director – France, XPO Logistics, said, "We had a positive experience testing the first Renault Trucks electric truck for deliveries in urban areas. Our new order for 100 all-electric trucks is an unprecedented agreement for both XPO and Renault Trucks in France. We have also made a major investment to equip our sites with more than 80 electric charging points. These commitments illustrate our determination to move towards more sustainable road transport and support our customers as much as possible in decarbonizing their supply chain activities.”
Christophe Martin, managing director of Renault Trucks France, added, "We are delighted to contribute to XPO's energy transition by fulfilling the largest order for Renault Trucks electric trucks in France. Our relationship with XPO has been built on trust over many years, and is one of the key factors leading to this milestone agreement. Renault Trucks is a sustainability leader in the French market, and as such, we have a duty to lead the way towards sustainable transport."
XPO’s commitment to environmentally responsible transport of goods
XPO's all-electric delivery solution is the company's latest investment to help its customers reduce the carbon footprint of their supply chain operations. The company has one of the most modern and safety-equipped transport fleets in Europe, managed by digital technology for end-to-end efficiency. More than 95% of XPO's European fleet is compliant with Euro VI emissions regulations.
XPO's leadership in sustainable road transport in France includes:
- Fifteen years as a signatory of the CO2 Charter and an active participant in the Objectif CO2 scheme of the French Ministry of Ecological Transition and Solidarity and the French Agency for the Environment and Energy Management (ADEME).
- Pioneering introductions in alternative-fuel freight transport since 2015, with trucks running on liquefied natural gas (LNG) and compressed natural gas (CNG), both of which reduce fine particle emissions and emit 70% less nitrogen dioxide; and trucks running on biogas, which reduces CO2 emissions by 80%. XPO’s fleet in France now includes 230 of these alternative-fuel vehicles.
- A large 2020 investment in 500 vehicles from Renault Trucks, including tractor-trailers equipped with Euro VI-d-compliant diesel engines, the strictest European emissions standard.
- A commitment to further decarbonize road transport activities by utilising more synthetic paraffinic diesel (an HVO fuel) — a solution that can reduce CO2 emissions by up to 90% and reduce fine particles and NOx emissions by up to 30%.
- The deployment of Goodyear's Drive-Over-Reader technology in eight XPO transport agencies in France. These ground sensors, which measure tire pressure and tread depth, are designed to reduce fuel consumption and maintenance costs and proactively avoid tire-related accidents.
- Ongoing training of company drivers in eco-driving techniques, and expanded team training in alternative energy transport applications.
XPO is a leading innovator of transport services in Europe, including technology-enabled truckload, less-than-truckload, truck brokerage, managed transport, last mile and freight forwarding. The company tailors its solutions to customer-specific needs across a range of consumer, trade and industrial sectors and world-class events.