XPO Logistics Continues to Invest in Reducing the Environmental Impact of Its Operations in France
Noticias | Lyon, France | 27 de Setembro de 2022
Deploys technology and training for sustainable development
XPO Logistics, a leading global provider of freight transportation services, has announced continued progress towards sustainable development by implementing actions to reduce its carbon footprint. To coincide with European Sustainable Development Week, XPO provided details of some initiatives the company has undertaken to optimize energy and fuel consumption. Specifically, in France:
- 60% of the surface area of XPO’s sites — more than 319,000 square meters — are lit by LED technology, with a target of 100% conversion to LED in 2023. All new sites are designed to optimize energy performance, with equipment such as motion sensors and photovoltaic panels.
- 100% of the vehicles in XPO's fleet are monitored by CMMS (Computerized Maintenance Management System) technology, which provides access to maintenance histories and stores the information in a central database. This innovative system helps optimize fleet performance.
- Goodyear's Drive-Over-Reader technology has been installed at eight of XPO’s transportation branches. Sensors at ground level measure tire pressure and wear as each truck passes through on its way to the site. Part of the fleet is also equipped with TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) technology for real-time monitoring of tire pressure and temperature, alerting XPO's maintenance teams to intervene in the event of anomalies. This rigorous monitoring helps reduce fuel consumption.
- All XPO drivers are systematically trained in eco-driving techniques for fuel efficiency. Each year on average, 800 XPO drivers receive eco-driving instruction.
- XPO trucks are fitted with onboard technology that captures a driver’s eco-driving data as part of a continuous improvement process. Each driver is informed monthly of his or her performance and receives additional eco-driving training if necessary.
- XPO has deployed a new e-learning system to train its employees about alternative fuels and energy sources.
Bruno Kloeckner, managing director – France, XPO Logistics, said, "By investing in technology and training for our teams, we support the development of more environmentally friendly supply chains by our customers. True progress depends on everyone taking action, and at XPO we are contributing to the protection of the planet by driving positive change.”
XPO has a long tradition of operational excellence in sustainable development. The company has been a signatory of the Objectif CO2 programme of the French Ministry of Ecological Transition and Solidarity and the French Agency for the Environment and Energy Management (ADEME) since 2007, and invests in vehicles powered by alternative fuels, including natural gas, electric batteries and biofuels. XPO also offers its customers multimodal transport services, as illustrated in Paris by the company’s pioneering combination of river and road transport for Franprix.
About XPO Logistics
XPO Logistics, Inc. (NYSE: XPO) is a leading provider of freight transportation services, primarily truck brokerage and less-than-truckload (LTL). XPO uses its proprietary technology, including the cutting-edge XPO Connect® automated freight marketplace, to move goods efficiently through supply chains. The company’s global network serves 50,000 shippers with 749 locations and approximately 43,000 employees, and is headquartered in Greenwich, Conn., USA. Visit xpo.com and europe.xpo.com for more information, and connect with XPO on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube.