XPO Logistics Commits to Emissions Control, Fuel Efficiency and Green Logistics through Investments in Sustainability
Noticias | Greenwich, Conn. | 5 de Junio de 2017
Technology continues to be one of the company’s largest areas of focus. XPO invests approximately $425 million a year in technology globally, in part to manage goods more efficiently for customers by road and rail and through its logistics sites. The company’s proprietary Freight Optimizer system for brokerage and Rail Optimizer system for intermodal have proven particularly effective in truck matching, routing, line-haul and freight tracking, reducing environmental impact.
Troy Cooper, chief operating officer of XPO Logistics, said, "Our commitment to sustainability is a cornerstone of the superior service we provide to our customers. Safety, environmental awareness and continuous innovation are ingrained in our daily operations. We’re proud of our recent progress with sustainable business practices, and will continue to take a leadership role in this area."
XPO’s sustainability measures also include:
- A modern, EPA-2013 compliant fleet equipped with GHG14-compliant SCR technology in North America, AMT transmissions and precision drive-train gear ratios that improve fuel economy and minimize emissions, with aerodynamic panels to reduce wind drag;
- A long-term partnership with the French Environment and Energy Management Agency (ADEME) and a commitment to reduce total vehicle emissions by 6% under a three-year program in France;
- The largest owned road fleet in Europe, with approximately 97% of fleet compliant with Euro V, EEV and Euro VI standards and an owned liquefied natural gas (LNG) truck fleet;
- A mega-truck service in Spain designed to mitigate environmental impact by reducing the number of miles traveled to transport large freight volumes;
- Approximately 5,000 hours of training in progressive shifting and other eco-operating techniques provided to XPO drivers annually in Europe to maximize fuel efficiency and safety;
- Engineered maintenance standards that increase uptime and efficient operation of equipment through the use of reduced-weight engine oils, low-rolling-resistance tires and other measures;
- Integration of green order preparation technologies in warehouse operations, such as the StealthWrap® packaging system, and the use of recycled packaging when possible in fulfillment operations;
- Packaging engineers skilled in designing the optimal carton size for each shipped product, and company-manufactured reusable kitting tools for parts installation at customer operations;
- Monitoring of fuel emissions from forklifts at company sites, with systems in place to take corrective action if needed;
- Upgrading of warehouses and offices with low-energy lighting, motion and daylight sensors, and programmable thermostats; and
- Recycling of millions of electronic components and batteries annually from reverse logistics operations, as well as paper, cardboard and plastic recycling.
Additional information about XPO Logistics’ commitment to sustainability and corporate responsibility can be found on the company’s websites: www.xpo.com and europe.xpo.com.